The lips are one of the top facial features anyone notices when they first look at you. That’s why it’s important to make sure that they’re smooth, youthful and free from any kind of pigmentation. Dark lips are a common problem that affects both men and women. Fortunately, there are some tips that can be used to combat this and restore your lips, natural youthful appearance. They include:
1. Reduce your coffee intake
Drinking lots of coffee could be the reason why your lips are darkening. Studies show that caffeine present can stain the lips as well as the teeth. So switch up your caffeinated coffee with a decaff one.
2. Up your water intake
Darkening of the lips is one of the body’s way of telling you to drink more water. The skin covering the lips is the thinnest and most delicate hence the first victim of dehydration since it loses moisture to the environment really fast. Consuming plenty of water and eating fruits high in water content should keep your lips from getting dark. Also, another lip hydration tip would be to use a lip balm containing beeswax or cocoa butter to help seal in moisture.
3. Exfoliate your lips
Exfoliating the lips regularly will help to get rid dry dead skin cells and also boost blood circulation to the area. There are a number of natural exfoliation methods that you could use. Here are some of them:
- Lemon or lime — Apply some lemon or limejuice on your lips, let it stay overnight and rinse it off in the morning. Lemon and lime have a high citric acid content which has great exfoliation properties.
- Vegetable oil and sugar. — Mix a sizable amount of an edible oil of your choice and sugar and use it to gently scrub the lips. Rinse it off once you’re done.
- Vaseline and a toothbrush — Apply some Vaseline on the lips and use a toothbrush with soft bristles to gently exfoliate the lips. These exfoliation tips can be done daily but always remember to moisturize afterwards.
4. Avoid licking your lips
Whether you lick your lips when you’re anxious or salivating at an image of a sumptuous meal, this habit could be one of the reasons why your lips are darkening. Contrary to what you might think, giving your lips a quick lick doesn’t help to hydrate them. Licking the lips actually dries them out hence causing them to crack and darken.
5. Choose and use lipsticks carefully
Long wearing lipsticks could allow you to go about your day without having to touch them up but this comes at a cost. Wearing lipsticks for prolonged amounts of time could lead to lip pigmentation. This is especially common with lipstick brands that are of low quality. Lip pigmentation can also be caused by expired lipsticks so always check the expiry details. Finally, don’t forget to remove any lip cosmetics before you sleep!
6. Eat healthy
Deficiencies of some vitamins can also cause the lips to darken. One such vitamin is vitamin c so make sure you consume enough of it.
7. Try applying some natural extracts
The healing properties of some of the natural extracts have been found to be beneficial in lightening dark lips. Some of them include; Cucumber juice, rose petal extracts, turmeric, Almond, Strawberry, mustard and beetroots.
Hopefully the above set of tips should help to lighten your lips and consequently boost your confidence.